Gulf Shores High School announces 2nd Athletic Hall of Fame class
Gulf Shores High School has released the inductees that it will proudly honor as its 2nd Hall of Fame class.
The nominees were selected under the following criteria:
– Athletes and coaches will be considered as candidates for the Hall of Fame. Others who have made exemplary contributions to Gulf Shores High School’s athletic program are eligible for associate status.
– There is a ten year waiting period from the date of graduation before an athlete may be considered. There is no waiting period for coaches.
– Athletic abilities and achievements during the nominee’s school career will be the primary considerations. Service to the school and community before and after graduation will also be considered
“We believe the following inductees meet and exceed the nomination criteria and have earned their respective position in the Gulf Shores High School Hall of Fame,’’ said Mark Glassford, the GSHS assistant principal.
There will be a Reception at the GSHS Library honoring the inductees on Friday, August 31 at 4 p.m. The inductees will be introduced and have an opportunity to speak. The public is invited to attend. The class will be inducted before that evening’s football game at Micky Miller Stadium vs. Baldwin County. In addition to being presented plaques and certificates at the stadium and honored during the afternoon social, the inductees will have their pictures displayed in the school trophy case.
Hall of Fame Class
• Wing Brett (Volleyball Coach 1999-2011, Track Coach 2009-2011): 385 Career Wins as Head Volleyball Coach; 3A Area Champion 1999, 2000, 2001; 3A South West Region Champion; 4A Area Champion 2003, 2004; 5A Area Champion 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011; 7 Elite 8 Appearances; 2 State Semi Finals; 2003 4A State Runner-up; 2004 Coached South All Star Team (Won in 5 sets); 2007 Coached South All Star Team (Won in 4 sets).
• Brandon Ellis (Golf Team 1998-2002): Baldwin County Champion; 3A State Team Championship Golf 2001; 3A State Individual State Champion 2001; 3A State Team Championship Golf 2002; 3A State Individual State Champion 2002; 3A State Team Runner-Up Golf 1999 & 2000; 3 Sectional Tournament Wins 2000, 2001, 2002.
• Logan Hickman (Football 2004-2007): 3 year varsity Starter Gulf Shores High School; All County GSHS 2005, 2006, 2007; Honorable mention All-State 2007; Sack & Tackle Leader GSHS 2006 & 2007; 4 Year Starter at The University of Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles. Senior year won the C-USA Conference Championship; Finished the year with a record of 12-2 being ranked 19th in the nation.
• Haley Hopkins (Softball & Volleyball 2004-2008); 6 Year Varsity Softball Player (2003-2008), All County 2004-2008; Mobile Press Register Super 12 Team (2005-2008); 2007 5A State Champion Softball Team; 2007 State Tournament MVP; 2004 & 2006 State Champion Runner-Up; State All-Tournament Team 2004, 2006, 2007; 4 Year Varsity Starter University of South Alabama; 2012 Sunbelt Conference Champion; 2012 1st NCAA playoff appearance.
• Gary Johnston (Baseball & Football 2005-2008); 4 Year Starter Varsity Baseball, All County 2006, 2007, 2008; 3 Year Starter Varsity Football, All County 2007, 2008; All State Football 2008, North South All Star Game; 3 Year Starter University of West Alabama; 2012 & 2013 All Gulf South Conference Champions; 2012 & 2013 All Gulf South Conference; 2013 Division II All American.
• DJ Jones (Baseball & Football 2003-2007); 4 Year Starter Varsity Baseball, All County 2004-2007; 3 Year Starter Varsity Football, All County 2005-2007; All State Baseball 2005, 2006, 2007; Alabama State Record holder for Career Triples (31); GSHS Record for Batting Avg. (.557) 2006; GSHS Career Home Runs (31), Season Record (16) 2007; 2007 Mobile Press Register Player of the Year; 2007 Alabama North South All Star Team, MVP; 2007 Signed with Auburn University; 2007 11th Round MLB Draft Selection of the Tampa Bay Rays.
• Donnie Spohn (Head Baseball Coach 1999-2013), (Assistant Football Coach 1999-2016), (Assistant Athletic Director 2009-2016): 274 Total Wins as Head Baseball Coach, School Record; State Play-Offs 11 of 13 years in Class 3A, 4A, 5A AHSAA; 2003 Class 4A State Runner-up Baseball; 2003 Coach of the Year, Alabama Sports Writer Association; 2003 Coach of the Year, Baldwin County Coaches Association
2016 Baldwin County Coaches Hall of Fame Inductee; 24 former players played baseball in at the Collegiate level and one player drafted.
• Pat Wilkinson (Football 2001-2005): 1st player in GSHS history to sign a Division1 Football Scholarship; 2003 & 2004 back to back 1,000 yards receiving in a season; Caught 20 passes in a game, 2004 State Record 86 receptions, 2004 State Record, 1400 yards, 14 TDs; 2004 A part of the team which one the first region game in school history; All State Football 2003 & 2004; All American Football 2006 & 2007; Currently holds All receiving records at Gulf Shores High School; Wide Receiver Coach GSHS 2012 & 2013.
• Brandy Rhodes Reeves (Tennis 2001-2005): 4 Year Varsity Starter on the Tennis Team; 2003 Class 3A State Singles Champion Tennis; 2003 Class 3A State Doubles Champion Tennis; 2005 Senior Class President; Graduate of Auburn University received Bachelor’s & Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Education; 2012 Published a children’s book, Good Morning Sun; 2014 Teacher of the Year, Orange Beach Elementary School
Hall of Fame Associate Members
• Danny Martin: 24 Years with the City of Orange Beach Parks & Rec Superintendent; Assistant Kicking Coach @ GSHS 2000-2007; Developed Youth Sports Programs and Facilities Orange Beach; Initiated Travel Team Baseball Tournaments; Hosted the 1st High School Football Game in Orange Beach; Initiated College Soccer games to The Orange beach Sport plex; Hosted SEC Women’s Soccer Championship 2003 to Present; Helped with the formation of the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach Sports Commission.
• ReRe Machen: A supporter of GSHS athletics for the past 15 years, ReRe’s love for the athletes and the games are unconditional. “The Athletes are the one’s with the accomplishments. I have just been there…when our teams went to the state playoffs, when the girls won the state softball championship, when someone needed to talk, when a bus driver need help in direction to an away game, when a coach needed tournament help, when a hot headed parent needed cooling off with my cup of Ice. I’m very protective.” There is an annual GSHS award given in her name for the most dedicated multi-sport athlete. “I am thankful for all the students, coaches, parents, officials, and administration for sharing a part of their lives with me. Its all about the kids, though. My kids. I Love them all,’’ she said.
• Harold Samples (Associate Member) 1988 1st Full-Time Parks & Rec Director, City of Gulf Shores; Initiated Basketball, Soccer, Swim & Football teams to the City Rec. Program; Facilities such as Bodenhamer Center, Sports Complex, George C. Meyer Tennis Center, Kids Park & Skate Park all developed under his tenure. Also added athletic fields to Simms park & Meyer parks; Under Harold’s tenure, the GS Sportsplex hosted AHSAA State Track Meet, AHSAA Southern Region Softball tournament, NAIA Women’s softball, USSSA World Series Baseball Tournament; Inducted into the Baldwin County Coaches Hall of Fame 2001.
Pictured: The 2017 GSHS Sports Hall of Fame Class was the first in school history (l to r) Wren Aaron, Andrea (Joseph) Holmes, Avery (Berry) Forrest, Al Borchardt “Coach B”, Alisha (Hamrick) Stokes, Karen Collins, Tommy Lee, Gulf Coast Athletic Club representative David Lee. Missing: Colbey Cleckler.