Update on Roadwork: Pardon our progress
By John Mullen
Following is a rundown of upcoming road improvement projects as of 7/20/18:
• Canal Rd.: The additional westbound lane, added between Hwy. 161 and The Wharf, has made a substantial difference in moving traffic off the island; Work on the additional eastbound lane between William Silvers Parkway and Hwy. 161 will begin this fall with the relocation of utilities. Work will pause for the 2019 summer season, with road construction expected to begin in the fall of 2019.
• Hwy. 161 Turn: As part of the widening project, the intersection of Hwy. 161 and Canal Road will be realigned with removal of the Thumb Thumb and its adjacent businesses on the southwest corner to provide a curve instead of a 90-degree turn to facilitate smooth traffic flow to the beach. Work is expected to be finished in 2020.
• Bridge: The proposed Wolf Bay Bridge would also link into this intersection. Final plans for the bridge project have yet to be finalized, but the bridge, with funding already in place, is also expected to be completed by the end of 2020.
• East Canal Road will be widened to three lanes from Hwy. 161 to Wilson Blvd. and a traffic circle will be added just east of the public library complex.
• Median improvements: The next phase of the ALDOT median improvement and U-turn project on Perdido Beach Boulevard will begin between the Cotton Bayou Public Beach Access and Perdido Beach Resort this fall. At present, that will be the last phase of the median improvements.